razvan

12 July 2012

The first listening post is located at the Netham playing fields

The Netham playing fields are now a well used place for recreation and leisure with a refurbished children’s play area, a modern pavilion, football and cricket pitches, basketball court, bowling green and a riverside walk.

On the sight of the Netham playing fields once stood The Netham Chemical Works. From 1859 onwards saw a successful expansion of the works and before long, towering above Barton Hill appeared a bewildering mass of buildings with hot furnaces, a huge waste tip and a complex tramway network.

At its peak the chemical works employed 400 to 500 men. They were divided into two main groups, process workers who dealt with the chemicals and yard men who were blacksmiths, hauliers, carpenters, painters and general labourers – working conditions were very tough.