razvan

12 July 2012

The eighth listening post is on Queen Ann Road opposite Barton Hill Primary School

Winstanley House is the site of a former local authority care home. The care home was demolished in 2008 and a mixed tenure development of affordable and shared ownership homes has been built.

Opposite is Barton Hill Primary School and Children’s Centre which was built in 2004. Previously Barton Hill Swimming Baths were on this site and were officially opened in 1903 but not completed until the following year.

The baths were constructed principally of red brick fronting onto Maze Street with slate roof and red brick chimney stacks. It was a plain industrial looking building lacking any elaborate decoration. A cluster of ancillary buildings of varying sizes flanked the main pool. These buildings contained the boiler rooms, washrooms, bathing rooms and laundry facilities. The tall red brick boiler chimney was an especially prominent feature. The swimming baths closed in 1997.